Friday, September 10, 2021
The group name was changed form Sikhi Fundamentals for you to Sikhi Renaissance. The discussion today focused on the Gaps identified as a result of the observations.
Last part of the discussion focused on defining Sikhi, (What Team plans to promote) and desired Sikhi home environment. This needed to be defined in light of observations.
Please come prepared to address thee two points and then the team will proceed to identifying the gaps.
NOTE: PLEASE COME PREPARED TO FOCUS ON THE AREA/POINT BEING DISCUSSED AND SHARE YOU VIEWS ON THAT AREA / THOSE POINT ONLY.
Observations Shared :
- Most cases, family environment is not living Sikhi ,not even half way.
- Most Gurduara Sahibs are not successfully inculcating the message Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji.
- Most Bhai Sahibs at Gurduara Sahibs are ill-trained and unable to communicate with the Congregation (SANGAT).
- Culture and environment have changed from where and when we grew up, and approach to teaching to our children needs to change accordingly. (Language, media)
- The Youth do not know the value of being a Sikh. Only accept views based on logic.
- Information available on the Web/google hardly answers questions directly, and is mostly misleading and adulterated.
- The youth is shying away from dress code and hence from Sikhi. Sikhi Saroop and Sikhi philosophy are separate.
- Sikh children are taught to perform activity rather than understand.
- The media used need to be updated/modernized.
- External Influences / distortion of Gurbani message is taking youth away from Sikhi.
- The emphasis has changed from spirituality/Value system to economics/money.
- Level of Education in Sikh Schools is below desired levels.
- Availability of Sikhi information in other languages.
- Inadequate Sikhi environment at home where parents are poor role models to develop SIKHI VALUES in children.
- Gurdwaras and Sikh Institutions failing to educate Sikh Sangat on basic principles of SIKHI.
- Lack of availability of correct and real information on spiritual philosophy of SGGSJI on media.
- Lack of such information in simple language and short format interesting media.
- What is Sikhi to us.
- Benefit of Sikhi to them.
- A freestanding effort, with and without Gurdwaras,
- Define a project to address these gaps,
- Project to be implemented in phases/steps one at a time. i.e. not all aspects at one time.