Friday, October 8, 2021
- The group refined point 3 of last week’s discussion. Also revisited Gaps and the prosed actions.
- Our next step is to precisely define the project. The team will start that process next week.
Rest of the stuff here is a continuation of the note from previous meetings.
NOTE: PLEASE COME PREPARED TO FOCUS ON THE AREA/POINT BEING DISCUSSED AND SHARE YOU VIEWS ON THAT AREA / THOSE POINT ONLY.
Observations Shared :
- Most cases, family environment is not living Sikhi ,not even half way.
- Most Gurduara Sahibs are not successfully inculcating the message Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji.
- Most Bhai Sahibs at Gurduara Sahibs are ill-trained and unable to communicate with the Congregation (SANGAT).
- Culture and environment have changed from where and when we grew up, and approach to teaching to our children needs to change accordingly. (Language, media)
- The Youth do not know the value of being a Sikh. Only accept views based on logic.
- Information available on the Web/google hardly answers questions directly, and is mostly misleading and adulterated.
- The youth is shying away from dress code and hence from Sikhi. Sikhi Saroop and Sikhi philosophy are separate.
- Sikh children are taught to perform activity rather than understand.
- The media used need to be updated/modernized.
- External Influences / distortion of Gurbani message is taking youth away from Sikhi.
- The emphasis has changed from spirituality/Value system to economics/money.
- Level of Education in Sikh Schools is below desired levels.
- Availability of Sikhi information in other languages.
- Inadequate Sikhi environment at home where parents are poor role models to develop SIKHI VALUES in children.
- Gurdwaras and Sikh Institutions failing to educate Sikh Sangat on basic principles of SIKHI.
- Lack of availability of correct and real information on spiritual philosophy of SGGS on media.
- Lack of such information in simple language and short format interesting media.
- Sikh community has failed to reflect Sikhi values in daily life, among the babies, children, administrators, and etc.
- What is Sikhi to us.
- Benefit of Sikhi to them.
- A freestanding effort, with and without Gurduaras,
- Define a project to address these gaps,
- Sikhi Renaissance needs a Platform (no specifics were suggested / mentioned)
- Sikhi Renaissance needs to be in listening mode (as opposed to teaching mode)
- Sikhi Renaissance needs to provide counselling on every aspect of life based on ethical / human values ( social justice, equality etc.).
- Project to be implemented in phases/steps one at a time. i.e. not all aspects at one time.