Friday, October 15, 2021
Following were shared:
- A good number of efforts (Online and In Gurduara Sikhi classes, Sikhi Camps, recorded Sikhi materials, Sikh Wisdom.org, EKAMSIKH.org and others) are in process to propagate Sikhi and GSC should help expand their efforts. Develop some sort of Network of all such to create synergy.
- Fulfill the need of the Sikhs to be heard. Hold “Listening session” using an appropriate platform: The objective of these sessions is to be listening to the concerns, needs, rants and raves, of those community members who may be on the brink of leaving Sikhi due to lack of understanding. Have two or more Sikh Scholars be part of the listening so they can, at appropriate opportunity, inject Gurbani based answers/solutions to the issues. But mostly present the values-based solution and only mention that these solutions are from Gurbani when needed.
(By the way, expect all kinds of concerns being expressed on these sessions and we may end up opening a tollfree helpline (Worldwide or within each country) for legal matters as well)
- Such session to be held via Platform accessible by Sikhs and non-Sikhs worldwide.
- Need to address the current movement of Christianity in Punjab to convert poorer Sikhs into Christianity. Please note the Sikhs being mistreated because of the previous (before becoming Sikhs) caste are an easy target.
Observations Shared :
- Most cases, family environment is not living Sikhi ,not even half way.
- Most Gurduara Sahibs are not successfully inculcating the message Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji.
- Most Bhai Sahibs at Gurduara Sahibs are ill-trained and unable to communicate with the Congregation (SANGAT).
- Culture and environment have changed from where and when we grew up, and approach to teaching to our children needs to change accordingly. (Language, media)
- The Youth do not know the value of being a Sikh. Only accept views based on logic.
- Information available on the Web/google hardly answers questions directly, and is mostly misleading and adulterated.
- The youth is shying away from dress code and hence from Sikhi. Sikhi Saroop and Sikhi philosophy are separate.
- Sikh children are taught to perform activity rather than understand.
- The media used need to be updated/modernized.
- External Influences / distortion of Gurbani message is taking youth away from Sikhi.
- The emphasis has changed from spirituality/Value system to economics/money.
- Level of Education in Sikh Schools is below desired levels.
- Availability of Sikhi information in other languages.
- Inadequate Sikhi environment at home where parents are poor role models to develop SIKHI VALUES in children.
- Gurdwaras and Sikh Institutions failing to educate Sikh Sangat on basic principles of SIKHI.
- Lack of availability of correct and real information on spiritual philosophy of SGGS on media.
- Lack of such information in simple language and short format interesting media.
- Sikh community has failed to reflect Sikhi values in daily life, among the babies, children, administrators, and etc.
- What is Sikhi to us.
- Benefit of Sikhi to them.
- A freestanding effort, with and without Gurduaras,
- Define a project to address these gaps,
- Sikhi Renaissance needs a Platform (no specifics were suggested / mentioned)
- Sikhi Renaissance needs to be in listening mode (as opposed to teaching mode)
- Sikhi Renaissance needs to provide counselling on every aspect of life based on ethical / human values ( social justice, equality etc.).
Project to be implemented in phases/steps one at a time. i.e., not all aspects at one time.