GSC Approves Resolution Endorsing 2003 Nanakshahi Calendar, in addition GSC approves the acceptance of Guru Nanak Sahib’s Prakash Divas, Hola Mahalla Divaas, and Bandi Chor Divas as per S. Purewal
Sahib’s research and recommendation.
The Global Sikh Council (ASC) accepts the Nanakshahi Calendar, as proposed by S. Purewal, as the legitimate calendar of the Sikh Faith for the following reasons and appeals to the entire Sikh community worldwide to adopt it.
1. The Calendar is named after Siri Guru Nanak Sahib and its first year begins in the year 1469 CE, when Siri Guru Nanak Sahib was born. It begins with the month – Chet as enunciated in “Barah Mah”.
Nanakshahi year 543 has started this year on Chet 1 i.e. March 14, 2014.
2. The length of this Calendar is based on 365 days, 5 hours 48 minutes and 45 seconds which is similar to the Western Gregorian Calendar or the Tropical Calendar.
3. Its months consist of 31 or 30 days. First five months have 31 days each and the rest of them have 30 days each. During the leap year “Phagan” becomes a 31-day month. It is very easy to remember the fact that in a leap year when the month of February has an extra day the Nanakshahi month of “Phagan” will also have an extra day.
4. The connection between the months and seasons will always remain the same as elaborated in the Banis: “Barah Mah” and “Rutee Saloks” contained in Siri Guru Granth Sahib.
5. The dates of all Gurpurabs will always stay the same year after year in the Nanakshahi as well as in the Common Era (CE) Calendars. Siri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib’s Parkash Divas will always fall on Poh 23rd of Nanakshahi or January 5th of CE every year. All the dates of Gurpurabs are according to Solar Calendar.
Apart from all the reasons mentioned above, it is of great significance for the Sikh community to have their own independent calendar. Nanakshahi Calendar is a symbol of the sovereignty of Sikhs, from which they will keep on getting inspiration to march towards their destiny.
Global Sikh Council (GSC) expresses its gratitude to Sardar Pal Singh (Purewal) for working extremely hard in using scientific methods to produce a unique Nanakshahi Calendar for the Khalsa Panth. We respectfully request Siri Akal Takhat Sahib to direct the Sikh Nation to adopt the Nanakshahi Calendar that is proposed by Mr. Purewal. We hereby appeal to all the Gurdwaras of the world to take immediate steps to adopt the Nanakshahi Calendar and celebrate all Gurpurabs and other important festivals according to this Calendar. We also appeal to the Sikh community of the world to celebrate their social and family functions according to this Calendar.
The Global Sikh Council (GSC) is a representative and elected body of the National level Sikh Bodies in the world. Its members include six countries across the world. GSC works to promote Sikh interests at the international level focusing on issues of advocacy, education, and well-being of humankind.
PRESS RELEASE PDF